Foreign objects, such as food or small toy parts, are some of the causes of choking. The emergency responder can take the following steps to assist the conscious victim, who is either obese or pregnant, and clear the airway of the foreign object.
1) Recognise that the victim is unable to speak, breathe or cough
2) Ask the victim, “Are you choking?”
3) Encourage the victim to relax and cough to remove the object
4) Position yourself behind the victim, making sure that the victim is upright, and put your right foot between the victim’s feet
5) Place your arms around the victim’s armpits to encircle the chest
6) Place the thumb of your fist on the breastbone
7) Grasp your fist with the other hand
8) Give successive backward thrusts of 5 sets. Each set should consist of 5 thrusts
9) Check for foreign body expulsion after every set of 5 abdominal thrusts
10) Repeat the procedure until the obstruction comes out, or victim becomes unconscious
To watch a video on how to assist a conscious adult (neither pregnant nor obese) who is choking, watch our video here: https://youtu.be/pJAd10F53-k
SERA is dedicated to providing training and certification courses for a variety of First Aid and CPR + AED courses. We conduct corporate and public courses and have trained thousands to date.
For more information, visit us at
*Disclaimer: The techniques demonstrated are standardised by SERA for SERA’s training purposes and the techniques do not imply the standard across other training centres.